Dark Mode
Monday, 07 April 2025
Logo
Ukrainian authorities find mass grave in Lyman: Governor
A tank of the Ukrainian Armed Forces its seen in the industrial area of the city of Sievierodonetsk, as Russia’s attack on Ukraine continues, Ukraine June 20, 2022. Picture taken June 20, 2022. REUTERS/Oleksandr Ratushniak

Regional governor Pavlo Kyrylenko said in an online post on Friday (Oct 7) that Ukrainian authorities have found a mass grave in the recently liberated eastern town of Lyman and it is unclear how many bodies it holds.

According to a separate report by the Ukrinform news agency, a senior police official estimated, the grave contained 180 bodies.

Ukrainian troops retook Lyman, in the Donetsk region, from Russian control on Saturday.

Mr Kyrylenko’s online post contained several photographs showing officials investigating what appeared to be a mass grave site.

Ukrainian authorities have regularly accused Russian troops of committing atrocities in occupied territories, a charge Moscow denies.

Countless tragedies caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Mothers and fathers mourning their murdered sons and daughters - Euromaidan Press

Last month, the bodies of 436 people were exhumed from a burial site in the northeastern town of Izium after it was liberated. Most appeared to have died violent deaths, local officials said.

Huge fire erupts on strategic bridge linking Crimea to Russia

Mr Kyrylenko, governor of Donetsk, posted on Telegram that officials in Lyman had found “a mass grave where, according to local information, there could be both soldiers and civilians. The exact number is yet to be ascertained”.

He said a second burial site with 200 graves had also been found, containing the bodies of civilians. It was not clear from his comments how or when they had died.

Source: tvpworld

Caricature

BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...

ads

Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!