-
Arab foreign ministers condemn Turkish offensive in Syria

Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Saturday led Arab foreign ministers, during an emergency meeting, in condemning Turkey’s military offensive in northeast Syria as an “invasion of an Arab state’s land and an aggression on its sovereignty.”
Aboul Gheit added, during the meeting in Cairo, that the Arab League is considering taking diplomatic, economic, investment and tourism measures against Turkey.
Following Lebanese Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil's statement that it was time for Syria to rejoin the Arab League, Aboul Gheit said that Syria's return to the league is subject to required measures that the authorities in Damascus will have to take.
Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamad Ali al-Hakim said that Baghdad will soon submit a formal request for Syria's return to the Arab League.
Saudi Arabia's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir said on Saturday that the Kingdom condemns the Turkish offensive in northeast Syria.
Saudi Arabia demands an immediate halt to the military operations, he added, saying that the Turkish attack is causing the Syrian people further suffering.
Al-Jubeir said that Saudi Arabia calls for finding a political solution in Syria, and demands that all foreign forces withdraw from the country.
The UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash also condemned on Saturday the Turkish offensive in northeast Syria, and called on the international community to shoulder its responsibilities to stop the Turkish attacks on Syria.
“We call for the exit of Turkey and its forces, as well as all foreign forces that have violated this Arab country - and to push for a successful political solution,” Gargash said.
Bahrain's Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa said on Saturday that the country rejects any aggression by any party against Arab countries. Al Khalifa called on the countries’ to maintain and confront any threats to Arab national security.
Lebanese Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil, who was also among the officials attending the meeting, said that Lebanon rejects the attacks on Syria.
The foreign minister added that it was in the Arab nations’ best interest to protect the region.
Tunisian Foreign Minister Khemaies Jhinaoui on Saturday said that the Turkish offensive in Syria will make reaching a political solution in Syria more complicated. He called for an end to the offensive, adding that it could lead to a humanitarian catastrophe.
Qatar, which is considered a Turkish ally, did not block the communique, but voiced reservations.
“Qatar and Somalia have reservations about the Arab League’s decision today,” Arab League Assistant Secretary General Hossam Zaki told Reuters.
“The Qatari reservation puts Qatar in one trench with the aggressor, and I have no further comment,” Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told Reuters TV.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain, and Egypt previously condemned the Turkish military operation on Wednesday.
The US and European countries have also condemned the Turkish move.
The Turkish offensive
Turkey launched its offensive into northeastern Syria on Tuesday. Ankara claims it wants to establish a “safe zone” in the border region.
The Turkish military and its Syrian opposition allies have attacked positions held by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which was a key US ally in the fight against ISIS.
The SDF’s death toll rose on Saturday to 74, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Most of the fighters have been killed in the Tel Abyad area, on the Syrian-Turkish border.
More than 200,000 people have fled their homes due to the fighting, said the war monitor.
Fears have also been raised over the Turkish incursion leading to ISIS fighters escaping from prisons controlled by the SDF, which has been forced to concentrate its efforts on defending against Turkish forces.
On Friday evening, Erdogan dismissed mounting international criticism of the operation and said Turkey “will not stop it, no matter what anyone says.”
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!