-
WHO official: Winter threatening lives of millions in Ukraine amid war, damaged infrastructure

This winter has been "life-threatening" for millions of people in Ukraine, as half the country's energy infrastructure is damaged or destroyed due to the war with Russia, further straining its healthcare system, the regional head of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Europe said on Monday (Nov 21).
"The devastating energy crisis, the deepening mental health emergency, constraints on humanitarian access, and the risk of viral infections will make this winter a formidable test for the Ukrainian health system and the Ukrainian people, but also for the world and its commitment to support Ukraine," Hans Kluge said at a hybrid press conference from the capital Kyiv.
The WHO has so far verified 703 attacks on healthcare facilities in Ukraine since the Russia-Ukraine war began nine months ago, Kluge noted, underlining that such attacks breach international humanitarian law and the rules of war.
He said Ukraine is facing a "therma-crisis," referencing the dropping winter-time temperatures, "on top of a perma-crisis brought on by the war and the pandemic."

The WHO expects 2 to 3 million more people in Ukraine to leave their homes in search of warmth and safety through the winter following the start of the war on Feb. 24.
Winter about survival
"Put simply, this winter will be about survival," said Kluge, stressing that continued attacks on health and energy infrastructure mean hundreds of hospitals and healthcare facilities are no longer fully operational, lacking fuel, water, and electricity to meet basic needs.
He said this was his fourth visit to Ukraine in 2022, hoping to draw the world's attention, days after the largest wave of missile strikes across the country.
To get through winter season, Ukraine needs 4 billion euros
The WHO regional chief said he was to meet officials, health workers, and patients to offer the UN body's unwavering support to the Health Ministry, government, and Ukrainian people.
"And to express my gratitude and respect for Ukraine's doctors, nurses, and other health workers who continue to show their heroism," said Kluge.
He said hundreds of thousands of premises across the country, including private homes, schools, and hospitals, have no essential gas supplies for cooking and heating, while 10 million people -- a quarter of the population -- are without power.
Temperatures are predicted to plummet as low as minus 20 C (minus 4 F) in parts of the country.
Macron calls for China, France to unite against Ukraine war
"As desperate families try to stay warm, many will be forced to turn to alternative heating methods, like burning charcoal or wood or using generators fueled by diesel or electric heaters," said Kluge.
"These bring health risks, including exposure to toxic substances harmful to children, older people, and those with respiratory and cardiovascular conditions, as well as accidental burns and injuries."
Those leaving their homes will face unique health challenges, including respiratory infections such as COVID-19, pneumonia, and influenza, and the severe risk of diphtheria and measles in under-vaccinated populations.
The WHO official said the war was also taking its toll on the mental health of Ukrainians.
"This week, the war enters its ninth month, and already, some 10 million people are at risk of mental disorders such as acute stress, anxiety, depression, substance use, and post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD," said Kluge.
He also expressed great concern for 17,000 HIV patients in Donetsk who may soon run out of critical antiretroviral drugs that help keep them alive.
Source: aa
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!