-
UK diplomacy masks private fury in Covid vaccine row with EU

Tussles over supplies could last months despite commitment in public to work together Covid vaccine
Tussles with the EU over vaccine supplies could continue for months, UK government insiders fear, despite a joint statement in which both sides committed to working together.
From Boris Johnson’s phone calls to EU leaders to the foreign secretary Dominic Raab’s discreet lobbying on the fringes of this week’s Nato meeting, a significant amount of senior government time and energy is being invested in trying to resolve the issue.
The public mood music is soothing – the joint statement issued on Wednesday pointed to the need for a “win-win” solution for both sides – but privately there is simmering fury.
The government was particularly incensed by press reports that 30m doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine in an Italian warehouse raided by police were earmarked for the UK. The company insisted they were destined for developing countries or the EU itself.
One government source suggested there was a move to “whip up an anti-AstraZeneca mob,” treating the firm as a scapegoat for politicians’ failings.
The health secretary, Matt Hancock, made his frustration clear on Wednesday. Asked about comments from the EU internal markets commissioner, Thierry Breton, that the UK was engaging in “vaccine nationalism,” he told the Financial Times bluntly: “Our contract trumps theirs. It’s called contract law. It’s very straightforward.”
Johnson perhaps also let slip his true feelings when he told his MPs earlier in the week it was greed that had ensured the vaccine was developed and rolled out so rapidly in the UK.
In public, however, the language from London has been largely diplomatic because of fears about the potential consequences if the EU decides to choke off supplies. Covid vaccine
In fact, neither side has received as many doses as they had initially hoped. AstraZeneca had suggested it could supply 30m to the UK by September 2020, for example, more than the entire number of Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs so far administered to the public, six months later.
The startling success of the UK’s rollout means there have been few quibbles from the government, but EU leaders have found themselves having to explain why their vaccination programmes got off to a faltering start at the same time as tackling a third wave of the virus.With a booster jab potentially necessary in the autumn and supply chains strung out across national borders, however, ministers are acutely aware that they will need to reach some kind of agreement with the EU when discussions resume after this week’s European council meetings. “It’s an ongoing problem. It could go on for months,” said one government insider.
There is less angst in Downing Street about the holdup of supplies from India, and more sympathy for Delhi’s situation. Johnson’s former chief of staff and trusted fixer Lord Lister has been dispatched, in part to pave the way for the prime minister’s planned trip to India next month but also to try to unlock 5m doses the government had expected to receive.
They were part of a 10m-dose order, half of which had already been sent before the Indian government in Delhi decided to prioritise domestic supply as cases surged. The UK believes the release of the remaining 5m doses is a matter of when, not if.
Whitehall officials stress that the government’s plans for unlocking the economy will remain on track even if vaccine supply is bumpy in the weeks ahead. They are based on all over-50s being vaccinated by mid-April, a target they are still confident can be met.
The government is also looking at ways of bolstering domestic production and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the US-made Moderna vaccine, which is expected some time next month. Covid vaccine
source: Heather Stewart
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!