-
Sturgeon acted 'honourably' over Salmond assault claims, says Blackford

PA MediaSalmond had said Sturgeon misled parliament over when she first heard about complaints against him
The Scottish National party’s Westminster leader, Ian Blackford, has said Nicola Sturgeon “acted in an honourable way” after Alex Salmond reportedly claimed she breached the ministerial code by misleading the Scottish parliament.
Former first minister Salmond’s submissions to an inquiry into sexual assault claims against him have been obtained by national newspapers, in which he claims Sturgeon’s evidence over when she knew about the allegations was “simply untrue”.
Sturgeon said she entirely rejected Salmond’s claims.
Sturgeon, who took over as first minister and SNP leader in late 2014, initially told Holyrood she first heard of complaints of sexual misconduct against her predecessor at a meeting with him at her home on 2 April 2018.
In Salmond’s subsequent criminal trial, however, it was revealed Sturgeon had been made aware of the allegations in an informal meeting with his former chief of staff Geoff Aberdein on 29 March that year – four days earlier. Sturgeon later told the inquiry she had forgotten about the encounter.
Blackford said he did not believe the allegations about Sturgeon were correct. He told BBC Radio 4’s Any Questions programme: “I believe that the first minister has acted in an honourable way; she’s someone that I’ve every faith and trust in.
“I can tell you that the approval ratings for the first minister, the respect that she has right up and down the country of Scotland, is enormous and this is something that will pass – when she appears in front of the committee, these matters will be dealt with.”
In his inquiry submission, Salmond said the March meeting had been arranged after Aberdein was told of two allegations made under a new complaints procedure set up in light of the MeToo movement.
According to The Herald, Salmond said: “This (preliminary) meeting was for the purpose of discussing the complaints and thereafter arranging a direct meeting between myself and the first minister.
“There was never the slightest doubt what the meeting was about. Any suggestion by the first minister to the Scottish parliament that the meeting was ‘fleeting or opportunistic’ is simply untrue.
“Most seriously, parliament has been repeatedly misled on a number of occasions about the nature of the meeting of 2 April 2018.
“The first minister told parliament (see official report of 8, 10 & 17 January 2019) that she first learned of the complaints against me when I visited her home on 2 April 2018.
“That is untrue and is a breach of the ministerial code.”
Salmond, who was cleared of 13 charges at the high court in Edinburgh last March, also confirmed to the Times that he had submitted the evidence to James Hamilton, the independent adviser on the ministerial code who is conducting a separate investigation into Sturgeon.
A spokesperson for the Scottish government said: “The first minister and the permanent secretary stand by what has been said to parliament and in written evidence to the committee.
“The permanent secretary has also already provided detailed answers in person to the committee and will provide further oral evidence on Tuesday.
“The first minister looks forward to answering questions when she appears later this month.
“In relation to the ministerial code referral, Mr Hamilton has the freedom to investigate as he feels is appropriate and we will not prejudge that process.”
A spokesperson for Sturgeon said: “The first minister entirely rejects Mr Salmond’s claims about the ministerial code.
“We should always remember that the roots of this issue lie in complaints made by women about Alex Salmond’s behaviour whilst he was first minister, aspects of which he has conceded.
“It is not surprising therefore that he continues to try to divert focus from that by seeking to malign the reputation of the first minister and by spinning false conspiracy theories.
“The first minister is concentrating on fighting the pandemic, stands by what she has said, and will address these matters in full when she appears at committee in the coming weeks.”
source: PA
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!