-
Israel between diplomatic obstruction and military preparations.. No nuclear for Iran

The nuclear talks began in Vienna in April 2021; they were suspended in June, resumed in November then suspended again last March. In recent months, things began move forward after the European Union (EU) and Washington tried hard to reach an agreement, but not at any cost.
The nuclear negotiations with Iran entered a decisive phase, which could have swiftly led to either an agreement or further rounds of procrastination, as some observers believe, especially since Tehran and Washington were not in favoure of declaring the end of negotiations. While Iran is demanding guarantees for its return, European officials made it clear that Tehran and Washington needed to explain their positions plainly, whether by approving or rejecting the proposed European draft agreement. Tehran had earlier sent a response to the EU (which is sponsoring the nuclear talks) but it failed to clarify its position towards the draft agreement; instead, it stated that the agreement “raised several issues” that it wanted to include in the text.
What Israel thinks about the agreement
Whatever the outcome of the nuclear negotiations will be, Israel rejects it since it does not guarantee that Tehran will stop its overt or covert pursuit for a nuclear weapon. In a meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, on 18 August, Israeli PM Yair Lapid reiterated Israel's opposition to Iran's nuclear programmer and returning to the Iran nuclear deal.
Lapid highlighted the need to convey a sharp and clear message from Europe that no more concessions will be made to Iran. He believes that Europe should reject Iran's procrastination tactics in the negotiations. Moreover, he explicitly expressed Israel’s outright rejection of the American plans to return to Iran nuclear deal.
An Israeli source, who requested anonymity. reported that the message had arrived. He added that Lapid had passed on a message to US President through mediators, in which he emphasised Israel’s rejection of the draft deal with Iran, stating that it believes the draft crosses America’s red lines. He made it clear that that Israel will not commit, pointing out that the draft deal with Iran now includes greater concessions than the 2015 one and that Israel would work to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
America reassures Israel
U.S. and Israeli officials told Axios that the Biden administration has been seeking to reassure Israel, in recent days , that it has not agreed to new concessions with Iran and that a nuclear deal is not imminent.
Israeli officials insisted on conducting an intense dialogue with the USA after a senior American official said that Iran had officially dropped its demand for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to be removed from U.S. terror list, which was a major sticking point in the negotiations to revive the nuclear agreement.
Israeli warnings
According to the Times of Israel, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz confirmed on Tuesday, that Israel will do everything in its power to influence the nuclear agreement with Iran, warning the administration of US President Joe Biden that the agreement with Iran will allow the transfer of $250 billion to militias. Israel is in negotiations with the US and other nations in the area about renewing the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers. According to the publication, he reiterated that Tel Aviv will not be a party to any arrangement.
Israeli PM Yair Lapid said joint action should be taken to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons. The PM reiterated Israel’s opposition to a return to the agreement as well as the need for a clear and unequivocal message that there will be no additional concessions to the Iranians.
What Europe thinks
French President Emmanuel was asked during a visit to Algeria about the prospects of success in reviving the 2015 agreement between Tehran and world powers, Mr. Macron declined to speculate. "Now the ball is in Iran's court to revive a nuclear deal with world powers, and that the offer on the table, even if it would not resolve all differences," Mr. Macron told reporters. Macron added that the deal would not resolve everything, and that more engagement with Tehran was needed to discuss its “ballistic missile program, regional influence and multiple (acts of) destabilization.”
Israeli generals plead with the US President
On 1 September, former Israeli generals pleaded with the US President Joe Biden not to sign a nuclear agreement with Iran, warning that it would endanger Israel's security. In their letter, the generals called Biden "a friend of the Jewish people and the State of Israel and asked him to honour his reign by not allowing the Iranian regime to have nuclear weapons. The generals warned of a "regional nuclear arms race, an unexpected funds for the Iranian terrorism and a threat to global stability," and urged "to use sanctions and force against Iran instead of that."
Negative signs about the state of the nuclear negotiations were reflected in the European Coordinator’s statement on 15 September. It prompted Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid to state: “It is still too early to know if we have indeed succeeded in stopping the nuclear agreement, but Israel is prepared for any threat and any scenario,” he added. “If Iran continues to test us, it will discover Israel’s long arm and capabilities”. “We will continue to act in all fronts against terrorism and against those who seek to harm us," Lapid noted. “As agreed between me and [US] President [Joe] Biden, we have full freedom of action to do whatever is appropriate to prevent Iran from the opportunity of becoming a nuclear threat,” Lapid added.
Tags
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!