-
UK ministers accused of 'engineering' vote on genocide claims

Tory rebels wanting to back move to give courts a role would also have to back a Labour-sponsored plan
A Conservative backbench rebellion designed to give the UK courts a role in determining whether a country is committing genocide appears to have been frustrated by what rebels claimed was government chicanery and a denial of democracy.
Ministers arranged Tuesday’s vote so that if the rebels back an amendment passed by the Lords giving the court a role, they will also be backing a separate Labour-sponsored amendment passed in the Lords imposing human rights audits before trade deals are signed.
Some Tory MPs are prepared to rebel to give the courts a role, but not if by so doing they are also backing the Labour-sponsored plan.
One leading campaigner for what has become known as the genocide amendment complained: “Peers voted on the two distinct propositions separately so it is not clear why the clerks regard it acceptable to treat the MPs’ endorsement of one Lords amendment as endorsement of the other. They should not be bundled together. It is not even a parliamentary trick, it is a denial of democracy.”
The campaign to give the UK courts an advisory role in declaring if a country is committing genocide has drawn passionate support outside parliament, and is driven by allegations that Uighur Muslims are suffering a genocide at the hands of the Chinese government. The genocide claims cannot be referred to the international courts due to a Chinese veto, so campaigners wanted a right to refer the issue to the domestic courts.
Iain Duncan Smith, the lead Tory rebel, said: “The sad tragedy is that the government has so engineered it that the democratically elected House of Commons will not be able to vote on Lord Alton’s genocide amendment, which passed in the Lords with a majority of 171”.
Nus Ghani, another Tory rebel MP, said she was “appalled at the parliamentary games played over an issue as grave as genocide”.
Benedict Rogers, the chief executive of Hong Kong Watch, described the tactics as outrageous, adding: “I have never seen a government so afraid to do the right thing.”
It is now likely MPs will back a government-backed compromise designed to give the foreign affairs select committee, and a parallel committee in the Lords, powers to investigate whether a genocide is occurring, and then to make a recommendation on whether a government trade deal should go ahead.
Ghani complained: “A select committee can already prepare a report on genocide and the offer is meaningless since genocide can only be determined by a judicial process.”
She added that majorities on both the foreign affairs select committee and the Lords’ international relations select committee did not want to be given the role, if there was no power to refer the issue to the courts.
Lord Alton, an independent peer, said: “Both select committees in the Commons and Lords have said they would not wish to take on this role without having the opportunity to then refer the issue to the high court. It would take up a huge amount of time, energy and effort.” He said he did not think MPs were as impartial or as appropriate as judges in determining such complex issues.
The issue has also become a test for the government’s policy towards China, a policy made more difficult by the US’s recent decision asserting that China is committing genocide against Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang province. Ministers have also warned peers that the proposal might create diplomatic difficulties.
MPs rejected a role for the courts in determining genocide by a wafer-thin margin of 11 votes last month, but since then, peers reasserted their support for the measure by a huge majority of 171, forcing the government whips in the Commons to put the squeeze on their backbenchers for a second time.
In a joint letter signed by 20 civilian groups including the Burma campaign, the World Uyghur Congress and Yezidi Emergency Support, the groups say the UK has played a key role in the past five years leading the fight to protect the Yazidis when Isis was trying to wipe them out, and a role for the UK courts in determining genocide could be the start of a new global atrocity prevention strategy.
If the courts were given a determination role, it would still be up to ministers to determine whether a trade agreement should be retained.
Ministers say the proposal would give courts a role they do not seek and could backfire, since proof of genocide is such a high bar to overcome.
source: Patrick Wintour
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!