Dark Mode
Monday, 26 February 2024
Logo
One-year old boy believed to have crossed Mediterranean sea alone
Mediterranean sea/Pixabay

The Arab News reported according to the AFP that Italian media reports said Saturday, a one-year-old boy believed to have been sent by his parents to make the dangerous Mediterranean crossing alone has made it safely to the island of Lampedusa.

The Republica Daily said, the child, estimated to be barely a year old, was among 500-plus people who arrived on the small island in seven separate landings over the past two days.

The Daily mentioned that he was spotted by rescuers in the midst of some 70 men in a boat which landed Friday.

Representative image-Migrants
Representative image-Migrants

It said: “He crossed the Mediterranean before he even learned to walk. He braved the waves alone... too young to reveal his name and his story."

The expected refugees' legislation after the migrants' tragedy in the English Channel

The Daily said, the other migrants had no idea who the child was, but were reportedly begged by his parents to keep him safe during the crossing, possibly because they were prevented from boarding with him.

Another arrival was a 14-year-old son of a woman who died during a rescue off the island.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Twitter: “She was traveling on a boat with 25 other people, including her son who saw her drown."

Kurdish woman is first victim identified of mass drowning in English Channel

“Another preventable loss on Europe’s doorstep, another life claimed by irresponsible migration policies.”

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), S\some 1,340 people have died attempting the perilous Central Mediterranean crossing so far this year.

Source: arabnews