-
Napier barracks not suitable for accommodation, experts found

Seven-year-old report concluded buildings used to house asylum seekers were not for long-term use
A former army barracks used to house asylum seekers did not “meet acceptable standards of accommodation” when it was surveyed by planning and environmental experts seven years ago, it has emerged.
A report on Napier barracks, near Folkestone, Kent, filed by CgMs Consulting, now part of the RPS Group, concluded that “the buildings were never intended for long-term use” and converting the housing blocks on the site was an “unsuitable approach”.
The report was submitted to Folkestone and Hythe district council in 2014 as part of a planning application by the housebuilder Taylor Wimpey, which in September 2020 was granted planning permission to demolish Napier barracks and build 355 houses.
The revelations raise questions about the future of the controversial site after reports suggested the Home Office intended to consult the public on maintaining its current use as temporary accommodation for asylum seekers.
The home secretary, Priti Patel, has argued that the sites were sufficient for “our brave soldiers and army personnel”, but the Guardian understands that military personnel have not been accommodated at the site for a decade and a half.
Her Majesty’s Prison Inspectorate will enter the site this week after months of accusations levelled at the Home Office, and its private contractor Clearsprings Ready Homes, over the treatment of the asylum seekers on the site.
The Guardian understands that since the on-site inspection was announced on Wednesday, the Home Office has dramatically reduced the number of men housed inside to between 50 and 100. In mid-January, nearly 400 men were staying there.
In addition, asylum seekers claim there has been additional cleaning and maintenance since the inspection was announced, cleaning and fixing facilities that have been dirty or broken for months.
The Home Office said it was temporarily moving a number of asylum seekers from the Napier accommodation into self-isolation facilities, to allow others to self-isolate more easily, while individuals may leave the site for more permanent accommodation as it becomes available.
Taylor Wimpey’s plans for the Shorncliffe garrison, which takes in Napier barracks, remain on the company’s website and, as well as housing, include a primary school and improved recreation facilities.
Folkestone and Hythe district council approved planning for a 355-home development on the Napier and Burgoyne barracks part of the garrison on 18 September last year, at the same time as the Home Office started to house asylum seekers on the site.
The Guardian understands Burgoyne barracks is owned by Taylor Wimpey but Napier is still owned by the MoD, and it is expected to be bought and handed over to Taylor Wimpey in 2026.
The CgMs report, seen by the Guardian and filed as part of a broader application in 2014, said: “Much of the land owned by the MoD has become surplus to requirements as the existing buildings no longer meet acceptable standards for accommodation, offices and storage.
“Built to a standardised layout and using common construction techniques of the time, these buildings were never intended for long-term use.
“Converting these purpose-built barrack blocks into residential dwellings is regarded as an unsuitable approach, primarily due to the potential constraints arising from their reuse; either allocating the building entirely as a single unit, or subdividing existing spaces into multiple and undersized units.”
Following a review of available government property, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) agreed last summer to temporarily hand over two of sites – Napier Barracks and Penally Camp in Pembrokeshire, which have since been dogged by allegations of cover-ups, poor access to healthcare and legal advice, and crowded conditions.
A Home Office spokesperson said: “This accommodation is contingency accommodation. The MOD has given permission to use the site for 12 months, but the use of this facility will be temporary, and will be discontinued as soon as the Home Office is able to do so.”
source: Jamie Grierson
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!