-
Brexit: Irish PM asks EU and UK to 'dial down rhetoric' before crisis talks

Micheál Martin also asks member states to cool it before London meeting between Maroš Šefčovič and Michael Gove
The Irish prime minister has called for both sides to “dial down the rhetoric” ahead of crisis talks in London between the European commission’s vice-president, Maroš Šefčovič, and Michael Gove, as tensions escalate over problems in Northern Ireland.
Amid mounting anger in several EU capitals at UK demands for a rethink, Micheál Martin said there were “elements the British government could sort out, but likewise on the European side, I would say some member states need to cool it as well.”
In a letter to Gove late on Wednesday, Šefčovič ruled out major changes to the Brexit deal’s Northern Ireland protocol, saying the EU was not prepared even to consider any “flexibilities” until the UK fulfils the obligations it has already signed up to.
Šefčovič detailed a series of what he called “shortcomings” in the UK’s observance of border arrangements in Northern Ireland under the protocol, which requires goods shipped from Britain to the region to meet strict EU customs rules.
Measures Britain signed up to as part of the agreement, reached last December, “urgently need to be fully and faithfully implemented”, he wrote, as a “prerequisite to assess whether any facilitation, as requested, is necessary or justified”.
The letter reflects growing anger in some EU capitals at what they see as British attempts to exploit controversy over the commission’s brief triggering of article 16 of the protocol last month in an effort to prevent vaccine exports getting into the UK.
The commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, has apologised for the move, saying it was a mistake she deeply regretted, and the commission is working on mechanisms to ensure future EU legislation is double-checked for its impact on Northern Ireland.
But there is resentment among several member states at Britain’s subsequent attempt to capitalise on the commission’s blunder by demanding a wholesale rethink of the protocol, which was designed to prevent a hard border on the island of Ireland.
Boris Johnson last week accused the EU of appearing to “cast doubt” on the Good Friday agreement by triggering article 16, while Gove said the article 16 episode had “changed the political situation” and demanded fundamental changes to the protocol.
EU diplomats have objected particularly strongly to the tone of a letter from Gove, who co-chairs the EU-UK joint committee on Northern Ireland with Šefčovič, to his European counterpart, with one describing its tone as “extraordinary”.
With freight arriving in Northern Ireland from Britain facing serious delays and disruption, Gove demanded a two-year postponement of the introduction of full checks on supermarket food, medicines and parcels until 2023.
He also called for an “urgent reset” of the other parts of the protocol, including a permanent reduction of bureaucratic barriers hindering the movement of pets, plants and food products to the region, through “political, not technical” solutions.
“It’s clear the commission made a serious mistake on article 16,” another EU diplomat said. “But the British response is transparent and infuriating. It is using that mistake as an excuse to demand we tear up parts of an agreement it signed up to.”
David Frost, the UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, told the Lords EU committee on Tuesday that a resolution to the increasingly strained relations required a “different spirit” from the EU, which he said was struggling to get used to a “genuinely independent actor in its neighbourhood”.
But Šefčovič said in his reply to Gove that “blanket derogations” from EU rules on meat products and parcels “cannot be agreed beyond what the protocol foresees already”, while more flexibility on pets and plants would entail “the UK committing to align with the relevant EU rules”.
The EU vice-president also said Britain was not complying with the terms of the protocol in a number of areas. Border control posts at ports in Northern Ireland were “not yet fully operational”, he said, while official controls were “currently not being performed in compliance with the withdrawal agreement protocol and EU rules”.
There were “very few identity checks” on goods and “a very limited number of physical checks other than on live animals, fish and plants”, he said, while “non-compliant consignments” were being accepted even if destined for Ireland.
Packages were not being monitored as required, goods were entering Northern Ireland “without being declared or without valid certificates”, and the UK had “not fulfilled its obligation” to allow the EU real-time access to key customs IT systems.
A UK government spokesperson said it was “disappointing” that the commission had “failed to acknowledge the shock and anger felt right across the community in Northern Ireland from its decision to trigger article 16, and the need to take urgent steps to restore confidence as a result”.
“The chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster
source: Jon Henley
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!