-
Lockerbie: justice at last?

On December 21, 1988, Pan Am 103 took off from London’s Heathrow Airport en route for New York. When the Boeing 747 was cruising over the Scottish town of Lockerbie, a bomb in a suitcase exploded. Corpses and flaming debris rained down. All 259 passengers and crew died as well as 11 people on the ground. It was the worst act of terrorism in British history.
Exactly 32 years later justice may finally be getting closer. Last week the Wall Street Journal https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-expected-to-unseal-charges-against-new-suspect-in-1988-lockerbie-bombing-11608143709 reported that the US Justice Department is about to unseal a criminal complaint against Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, who is currently held by the Libyan authorities, and to seek his extradition for trial in a federal court.
Only one man has ever been convicted of involvement in the Lockerbie bombing - another Libyan called Abdel Basset al-Megrahi. Megrahi was sentenced by a Scottish court to life imprisonment in 2001 but was released in 2009 because of his terminal illness and was given a hero’s welcome on return to Tripoli, where he died in 2012. A second official, Lamin Khalifah Fhimah, was acquitted.
Lockerbie was the most infamous crime committed by Muammar Gaddafi’s regime but not the only one. Abdullah Senussi, his trusted enforcer, was convicted in absentia in France in 1999 for his role in the 1989 bombing of a UTA passenger plane over Niger, which killed 170 people.
Senussi is said to have recruited Megrahi when he was head of Libya's external security organisation. Gaddafi supplied arms to the IRA and to armed groups in the Middle East. In 1984 a gunman in the Libyan embassy opened fire on demonstrators in London, killing a policewoman. That led to a 20-year breach in relations with the UK.
President Ronald Reagan called Gaddafi “the mad dog of the Middle East.” In 1986, after Libyan agents detonated a bomb at a Berlin disco frequented by American soldiers, Reagan authorized air strikes on Tripoli and Benghazi. Gaddafi narrowly survived the bombing, which killed dozens. Some speculated later that Lockerbie was Gaddafi’s retaliation for this US action.
Still, when the indictments against Megrahi and Fhimah were announced in 1991 Gaddafi denied any involvement. He refused to hand them over until 1998, when he allowed them to stand trial at a special tribunal in the Netherlands. The testimony of one of the main prosecution witnesses was unreliable, and the case against the two accused was largely circumstantial.
The UN Security Council imposed sanctions on Libya over Lockerbie in 1992. It only lifted them in 2003 after Gaddafi agreed to pay $2.3 billion in compensation to the families of the victims. The country’s foreign minister said it accepted civil responsibility for the attack.
Last week, however, was not the first time Masud’s name has appeared. He was identified In a remarkable film made by Ken Dornstein, whose younger brother David was amongst the Pan Am victims. Dornstein was unable to visit Libya because of the sensitivity of the issue. In September 2011, however, after the start of the Arab Spring and Nato air strikes, he was free to travel. Not only did he meet Megrahi but he also heard, from a declassified CIA cable, about suspicions against Masud, a “technical expert” who travelled with Megrahi to Malta shortly before the bombing. Scottish investigators had also come across the name. But in 1999, when some were permitted to enter Libya and question ministers, they refused to confirm or deny that Masud existed.
Dornstein was determined to find out the truth. He came across a video clip from 2009, when Megrahi returned home to be greeted by colleagues, including Senussi and Masud. Megrahi always maintained that he had no involvement in the bombing of Flight 103, but ”here he was, embracing some of the other prime suspects,” according to an article in the New Yorker in 2015. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/28/the-avenger
In the wake of the anti-Gaddafi uprising, Masud was accused of using explosive devices to booby-trap the cars of opposition supporters and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
This whole saga is a grim reminder of the repression – both domestic and foreign– of the Gaddafi era, including the Abu Salim massacre in 1996, in which 1,200 prisoners were killed.
Some Libyans and foreigners still believe their country was falsely accused. Initially, suspicion fell on a Palestinian group that operated out of Syria and was backed by Iran. It was deemed to have carried out the attack in retaliation for the downing of an Iranian passenger aircraft by a US warship earlier in 1988. The UK authorities have always believed Libya was responsible. News that the US is about charge a second Libyan, and someone whose name was mentioned in the original investigation, bolsters that view.
Libya of course has been in chaos since Gaddafi was killed by rebels in October 2011. War has raged between the UN-backed government in Tripoli and General Khalifa Haftar and his forces. No end is in sight for the country’s long-suffering people. But it may be so for one of the most heinous crimes of Gaddafi’s long and unhappy rule.
BY: IAN BLACK
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!