-
UK forced to delay checks on imports from EU by six months

Introduction postponed until 2022 because border post infrastructure will not be ready in time
The UK government has been forced to delay the introduction of import checks by six months, in a U-turn in post-Brexit policy, because a network of 30 border posts being built to process incoming goods would not have been ready on time.
Exports to the EU from Britain have been subject to controls since 1 January, but the government decided to opt for a phased approach on EU imports to give hauliers and business more time to adapt.
Checks were due to be introduced in stages from 1 April and from 1 July, but in recent days traders and ports have said they are not ready and that the introduction of processes as originally planned could lead to empty supermarket shelves.
Michael Gove, the minister for the Cabinet Office, told the House of Commons on Thursday that the government had responded to businesses’ requests for more time and announced what he called a “revised timetable”.
Gove blamed the need for delays on the pandemic, telling MPs the previous timetable was “based on the impacts of the first wave of Covid” but that the government had reviewed deadlines because the disruption had been wider and longer-lasting than expected.
Most import checks have now been pushed back to 1 January 2022, meaning Britain will begin these processes a year later than the EU.
Andrew Opie, the director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium, a lobby group, said the postponement had come “in the nick of time”. He said it would “ultimately reduce the impact on consumers from 1 April who might otherwise have seen empty shelves for some products”.
Opie added: “Until the infrastructure is in place, with IT systems ready and established processes for checks and paperwork, it would be foolhardy to introduce full requirements for export health certificate documentation, pre-notification of imports, physical checks and more.”
British customs were due to begin controlling imports of animal products, live animals and plants and products from 1 April, including food considered high-risk such as mince and sausages. The checks, known as sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls, require consignments to have the correct documentation and import and health certificates signed by vets on arrival in Britain.
These SPS checks along with customs inspections were expected to take place from 1 July at new designated border control posts (BCPs) on goods entering by sea, road or air.
However, in recent weeks a string of British ports had said the facilities would not be ready in time for the July deadline, partly as a result of complications with the government’s funding of the new infrastructure. This week the British Ports Association, an industry body, wrote to the government to urge it to extend the deadline.
In addition, several of the inland facilities being built by the government at locations where there is not enough space available for a border control post directly next to the port are running behind schedule.
The White Cliffs inland site in Kent, where goods arriving at Dover will be checked, is described as still being a “muddy field”. In addition, the locations of the two inland sites in Wales that are being developed by the Welsh and UK governments have not yet been announced.
Physical SPS checks on animal products, as well as foods and plants considered high risk will not take place until 1 January. From this date these checks will take place at designated border control posts rather than at their destination, as is currently the case.
Checks on live animals and low-risk plants will only take place from March 2022 at BCPs.
In addition, traders will be able to continue submitting deferred customs declarations, whereby paperwork can be provided up to six months after goods have been imported, until the start of 2022.
There have also been severe teething problems in the implementation of the Northern Ireland protocol and new trading rules with the EU.
The EU is preparing to launch legal action within days after the government last week announced it was unilaterally extending a series of “grace periods” to allow businesses in Northern Ireland more time to adapt to post-Brexit rules.
Speaking to journalists on Thursday, the EU’s ambassador to the UK, João Vale de Almeida, said both sides should “give up on trying to score points” and work to rebuild trust.
It is understood Vale de Almeida has not yet met David Frost, the cabinet minister in charge of UK relations with the EU and the former trade negotiator. EU sources are understood to feel alarm at rumours circulating that the UK government has motive to make the Northern Ireland protocol inoperable in order to force a renegotiation – a situation tha Brussels would face down in the strongest possible terms.
source: Joanna Partridge
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!