-
Putin insists he ‘does not want war’ but accuses Ukraine of ‘genocide’

The Metro reported, Vladimir Putin has insisted he does not want war in Europe but said Ukraine is responsible for ‘genocide’ in the east of the country.
The Russian president confirmed a decision had been taken to move some forces away from border, a move which has raised hopes of a deescalation.
But he ratcheted up the rhetoric on areas in eastern Ukraine which are held by pro-Moscow forces.
The mixed comments keep the world guessing about whether or not he intends to invade: on the one hand, he suggested there is still room for constructive talks; on the other, he accused Kyiv of human rights abuses against its Russian-speaking population in the Donbas region.
Mr Putin was urged to adopt the breakaway republics in Lukansk and Donetsk by his parliament today, which have been at war with Ukraine since 2014.
Путин — о заявлении Шольца, что люди его поколения не представляют себе войну в Европе: «Мы с вами были свидетелями войны в Европе, развязанной как раз блоком НАТО против Югославии. Крупная военная операция с нанесением ракетно-бомбовых ударов по одной из европейских столиц — по Белграду. Это же было. Без санкций СБ ООН. Это очень плохой пример, но он был. Хотим мы этого или нет? Конечно, нет. Именно поэтому мы выдвинули предложения о переговорном процессе, результатом которого должна быть договорённость об обеспечении равной безопасности всех, включая нашу страну. К сожалению, конструктивного ответа на наши предложения мы не получили».
Posted by Владимир Путин on Tuesday, February 15, 2022
The Russian president did not rule out officially recognising them as Russian territory, a move which would effectively end the frozen peace process for good, while simultaneously calling for talks to continue on resolving the situation diplomatically.
Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 following Ukraine’s pro-Europe revolution, a move which was condemned by the West but did not result in a military response.
Boris Johnson: There is still time for President Putin to step back from Ukraine crisis
Mr Putin’s comments raise the prospect of similar military action in the Donbas region, despite his insistence that he wants to continue peaceful discussions with the West.
The Russian president detailed the gulf that still remains between Russia and the West on renegotiating defence arrangements on the continent.
He said the military alliance is ‘right on our doorstep’ and reiterated calls for a return to pre-1997 Nato deployments in Europe and for Ukraine to be permanently blocked from joining.
Mr Putin signalled a willingness to begin formal negotiations on bilaterally scaling back the presence of long-range missiles, transparency around military drills and other ‘confidence-building measures’.
Putin meets Macron to discuss Ukraine and European security
But he made it clear this was dependent on the West addressing his core concerns on Nato enlargement, which have already been rejected out of hand by Washington and allies.
The Russian president was speaking alongside German chancellor Olaf Scholz after talks between the pair.
Relations between Munich and Moscow are central to the European response to the Ukraine crisis given Germany’s reliance on Russian gas imports.
Mr Scholz struck a positive tone and concurred with messaging from Boris Johnson and Joe Biden that the window for a peace resolution is still open.
German Chancellor heads to Moscow to meet President Vladimir Putin
He said: ‘It was right that NATO and the European Union responded to the letters from Russia, and while Russia does not agree with the response, it is a good sign that it says there are a few good points in it.
‘Likewise, NATO, the EU, and we do not agree with the demands of Russia, but we believe there are some points in there that are worth discussing.’
Source: metro
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!