-
Human Rights Watch condemns the Qatari decision that offends migrant workers

Human Rights Watch stated that Qatar announced on January 16, 2020, that most migrant workers who were previously prevented from leaving the country without the permission of their employer, including domestic workers, would no longer require an exit permit. While this is an important step forward, the kafala system, which facilitates the abuse and exploitation of migrant workers, remains in place.
According to the organization, a law issued in September 2018 abolished the requirement of an exit permit for most migrant workers. But the law excluded people not covered by the labor law, including government employees, workers in the oil and gas sector, at sea and in territorial waters, in agriculture, in private offices, and domestic workers.
The new ministerial decision gives most of these excluded workers the right to leave the country without prior permission, except for those working in the army. However, employers can apply for exemptions for a few workers, and home workers must give employers a leave notice at least 72 hours before.
Rothna Begum, senior researcher for the Women's Rights Division at Human Rights Watch, said: “Qatar has taken an important step to eliminate a tool of control that employers sometimes used to exploit workers and keep them in abusive conditions. However, the authorities must ensure that no worker is required to obtain a permit from the employer to exercise their right to leave the country”.
She added that it is disappointing that both Law No. 13 of 2018 and the new Ministerial Resolution No. 95 of 2019 maintain the exit permit requirement for some employees. Employers can apply to the authorities to compel up to 5% of foreign employees to obtain prior approval because of the nature of their work. Although this classification does not apply to domestic workers, they are the only workers who are required to inform the employer in advance.
The official Ministry of the Interior accounts on Twitter in Arabic, and English also stated on January 16 that domestic workers who leave without prior notice might lose their right to a paid travel ticket and their financial rights, which could include claiming any unpaid wages. They may also face a four-year ban on entering Qatar.
Meanwhile, Qatar's online newspaper, The Peninsula, quoted a senior ministry official as saying the same. However, in response to inquiries from Human Rights Watch and other international human rights organizations, the newspaper removed the quote, and the Ministry's official Twitter account deleted tweets later that day.
On the other hand, a government spokesman told Human Rights Watch by email on January 16: “With immediate effect, the measures announced today remove exit permits for all expatriates who are not currently subject to the Qatar Labor Law - including domestic workers.”
He added that to protect the rights of both employers and domestic workers, domestic workers must inform employers at least 72 hours before they leave to protect their rights and ensure that they obtain their financial rights. However, any reports of economic sanctions imposed on workers who do not inform the employer are false and misleading.
Human Rights Watch also expressed concern that requiring domestic workers under the law to inform their employer in advance that they are planning to leave may lead them to believe that they need the employer's permission.
It is particularly worrisome for domestic workers who are subjected to abuse or exploitation or who fear reprisals. It may also lead to further violations, as employers can detain workers at home after receiving notification of their intention to leave or file fabricated criminal charges against them to prevent their departure.
"The Qatari authorities should clarify unambiguously that domestic workers can leave the country even if they do not inform their employer," Begum added. The government should remove this legal requirement entirely because it may cause confusion to employers and domestic workers, and expose these workers to violations.”
Lifting the requirement to obtain an exit permit addresses one of the main elements of the sponsorship system, which links expatriate exit visas to their employers and allows for abuse and exploitation of workers. However, other factors remain, including requiring workers to obtain the employer's permission to leave or change the job.
Those who leave before the end of the contract without permission can be charged with "absconding" and are at risk of arrest and deportation. Other reforms to the kafala system are expected to be implemented later in January.
Qatar, which employs thousands of migrant workers to build the infrastructure for the 2020 FIFA World Cup, has been subjected to more scrutiny of its dealings with foreign workers since Qatar was announced hosting the tournament. In November, Qatar entered the third and final year of its technical cooperation program with the International Labor Organization, intending to reform the conditions of migrant workers broadly.
However, Human Rights Watch said that the reforms that have been implemented over the past three years, although positive, have been insufficient, and their implementation has been uneven. Human Rights Watch continues to document the abuse and exploitation of migrant workers due to the kafala system.
It is reported that the kafala system has been implemented in various parts of the Middle East in multiple forms. After the announcement of Qatar, Saudi Arabia is the only country to impose exit permits on all migrant workers. However, in other Middle Eastern countries, it is still possible to prevent a migrant worker from leaving the country if the sponsor filed a complaint to the immigration authorities or if the employer did not revoke the employee's residence visa.
The international human rights law states: "Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country." Any other restrictions must be individual, for a legitimate reason as is the case, for example, during a criminal investigation.
"With the end of the exit permits system in Qatar, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will become the only country in the region that still imposes this abusive condition on its expatriate workers," Begum concluded. Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and all other Gulf states should abolish the kafala system, and ensure that migrant workers ’visas are not tied to their employers.”
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!