Dark Mode
Tuesday, 09 August 2022
Logo
Britain welcomes French government's announcement to delay sanctions over fishing dispute
UK-London-Big ben/Pixabay

The Xinhua reported, a British government spokesperson said Monday night that Britain welcomes the French government's announcement that it will not go ahead with implementing sanction measures as planned on Tuesday.


The spokesperson said in a statement: "As we have said consistently, we are ready to continue intensive discussions on fisheries, including considering any new evidence to support the remaining license applications."


The spokesperson said British Brexit Minister David Frost has accepted France's European Affairs Minister Clement Beaune's invitation for talks in Paris on Thursday.


Fisherman-Fishing nets/Pixabay

French President Emmanuel Macron, who earlier on Monday met with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on the sidelines of the United Nations climate conference in Glasgow, told reporters that the French plan was on hold pending the outcome of renewed talks.


Read more: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos pledges $2bn for restoring landscapes


France seized a British trawler and gave a warning to another boat Thursday morning, following threats of retaliatory measures against Britain's fishing industry and other trade, including preventing British fishing boats from disembarking at ports, increasing border and sanitary checks on British goods.


Read more: A lesson for Lebanon from 1957 Syria


Post-Brexit fishing row between Britain and France started earlier this year after the British Channel island of Jersey's government introduced a new licensing system requiring French boats to show fishing history in Jersey's waters to obtain future permits. It prompted both sides to dispatch navy vessels to monitor the situation in Jersey's waters in May.


Source: xinhua