Turkey launches massive operations against 112 soldiers over failed coup attempt

Flag of TurkeyNational flagPixabay
Flag of Turkey-National flag/Pixabay

The Xinhua reported according to Anadolu agency, Turkey launched Tuesday massive operations against 112 soldiers and former military school students over their suspected links to a failed coup attempt in July 2016.

The orders came after prosecutors of Turkey’s western Izmir city completed their investigations, and the operations covered 22 provinces.

The report said that so far, 76 suspects have been detained and the operations are continuing.

According to the agency, a total of 3,338 people have been detained within the scope of the planned investigations conducted by the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in Izmir since 2019.

Turkey-Red tram in Istanbul/Pixabay
Turkey-Red tram in Istanbul/Pixabay

Ankara blames the U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen and his network for masterminding the failed coup. Gulen has denied the allegation.

Read more: U.S. advises against travel to Germany and Denmark due to COVID-19 surge

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that Turkey expects “strong solidarity” in the extradition of the “fugitives” of the network.

Addressing a meeting of the International Criminal Police Organization in Istanbul via a video message, Erdogan said his country has been conducting an intense and determined struggle against all forms of terrorism.

Source: xinhua