Dark Mode
Sunday, 07 August 2022
Logo
Turkish prosecutors order arrest of 158 in military probe over Fethullah Gulen links
Flag of Turkey-Turkey/Pixabay

The Asharq Al-Awsat reported, state-owned Anadolu news agency said on Tuesday that Turkish prosecutors ordered the arrest of 158 suspects including 33 serving soldiers in an operation targeting people allegedly linked to a Muslim preacher who Turkey says was behind a 2016 failed coup.


It said that the investigation, stretching across 41 provinces, was part of a five-year-old crackdown against the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. He denies any involvement in the putsch of July 2016, in which more than 250 people were killed.


Prison-Barbed wire/Pixabay

Anadolu said, so far 97 people have been detained in the latest operation. The suspects included 110 military students who were expelled in the wake of the coup attempt, as well as 48 serving and former military personnel.


Read more: Hassan Nasrallah threatens Christian Lebanese Forces saying we have 100,000 fighters


Following the failed military takeover, about 80,000 people were held pending trial and some 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others were sacked or suspended. More than 20,000 people have been expelled from the Turkish military.


Source: aawsat